TMD Therapy in Colorado Springs
Are you suffering from chronic headaches, jaw pain, neck pain, or embarrassing clicking and popping sounds when you eat? If so, you may have TMD. Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMD or TMJ) is an increasingly common and degenerative, but rarely properly diagnosed affliction. TMD can cause chronic migraines and severe jaw pain and significantly reduce your overall quality of life. TMD requires treatment and won’t get better on its own. You don’t have to deal with the pain or discomfort of TMD any longer. You can make your TMD therapy appointment with Anderson Family Dental today for immediate relief. General dentist, Dr. Anderson, offers comprehensive TMD diagnosis and therapy to patients throughout Colorado Springs, CO, Stratmoor, Falcon, Black Forest, and the nearby communities.
What Causes TMD?
While the exact cause of TMD is unknown, researchers have found that it is more likely to occur in patients who:
- Have injured the jaw, the joint, or the muscles of the head and neck
- Grind or clench their teeth
- Experience movement of the soft cushion or disc between the ball and socket of the joint
- Have arthritis of the jaw joint
- Have stress induced jaw tightening
How is TMD Treated?
TMD therapy can involve the use of a custom nightguard, intraoral splint, orthodontic treatment, or other non-dental interventions like stress management and dietary changes. The first step in your TMD therapy from Anderson Family Dental will involve a complete assessment to discover the right combination of treatment for you. If you grind your teeth at night, we might fit you for a custom nightguard. Or, if even slight misalignments in your jaw joint are causing the problem, a custom splint can bring your jaw into the correct position and alleviate the strain.
What Are the Symptoms of TMD?
If you have been experiencing any combination of the following symptoms, you should seek TMD therapy immediately:
- Pain or tenderness in your face, jaw joint area, neck and shoulders, or around the ear when you chew, speak, or open your mouth wide
- Problems opening your mouth wide
- Jaws that lock in the open or closed position
- Clicking or popping noises in the jaw joint when you open or close your mouth
- Difficulty chewing or a sudden uncomfortable bite (as if the upper and lower teeth are not fitting together properly)
- Swelling on one side of your face
Skilled Colorado Springs TMD Dentist
Dr. Anderson has studied therapeutic treatments for TMD at the Pankey Institute, a well-known leader in TMD therapy education. Anderson Family Dental understands that comprehensive TMD therapy requires a multi-pronged approach. When you choose us for your TMD therapy needs, you can rest assured that we will find the right combination of treatment options to alleviate the effects of this potentially debilitating disorder. TMD can wreak havoc on your daily life. Let Anderson Family Dental advise you on your treatment options today. Make your appointment with the experienced team at Anderson Family Dental. Dr. Anderson proudly serves patients of all ages throughout Colorado Springs, Stratmoor, Falcon, Black Forest, and surrounding Pike's Peak communities.